Topic outline

  • Special Educational Needs (SEN)

    Nottinghamshire's Local Offer

    Nottinghamshire provides a wide range of support to children and young people with special educational needs and disabilities aged 0-25 and their families. This is achieved by working in partnership with parents, carers, children, schools and other agencies such as health, social care and the voluntary sector.




    What kinds of special educational needs does the school/setting make provision for?

    Holgate Primary and Nursery School is a mainstream setting.  We aim to provide the best learning opportunities for all children and ensure that all our pupils are included in all aspects of learning and school life.


    How does the school know if pupils need extra help and what should I do if I think that my child may have special educational needs?

    We acknowledge that all children are individuals and have different learning needs, some requiring additional support to help meet their needs or improve their learning.  Our Inclusion Team co-ordinates the SEN provision throughout school and nursery liaising where necessary with parents, pupils, school staff and specialist advisers from the Local Authority and Health Service.  When identifying children with SEN we follow the clear guidelines set out in the SEN Code of Practice 2014.  Throughout Holgate Primary we continually monitor and assess the progress of all our children, where expected progress is not being made, interventions are put in place to work on the identified difficulties.  When a parent/carer is concerned that their child may have a SEN this should be discussed initially with their child’s class teacher at a pre-arranged meeting, the Inclusion team will be informed and become involved  as needed. 



    How does the school/setting evaluate the effectiveness of its provision for pupils with special educational needs?

    Our Inclusion team, supported by the SEN Governor regularly review the SEN support that is in place and monitor the progress of children within our school.  Through monitoring, observing and assessing a child’s needs, staff work together with the Inclusion team to put in place appropriate support and provision to meet identified difficulties. We welcome parents support at all stages.  Targets are set and these are recorded on an action plan e.g. in a pupil progress proforma, a Structured Conversation Proforma, or in a Behaviour Support Plan. 



    How will both the school and I know how my child is doing and how will the school help me to support their learning?

    At Holgate Primary we have an ‘open door’ policy and encourage parents to discuss any concerns they have as and when they occur, preferably in person with their child’s class teacher.  Parents are also invited to contact our Inclusion team to discuss any concerns, by prior appointment. 

    We closely monitor the progress of all children termly.  In Autumn and Spring terms we hold Parents Evenings to discuss how children are doing.  In the Summer term all parents will receive an end of year written report, detailing progress within all areas of learning and parents are invited to discuss this with their child’s class teacher. 

    Where a child has a pupil progress meeting targets will be reviewed at least termly, new targets agreed with the child, parents and adults working with the child in school.  Copies of relevant paperwork will be shared with parents. 



    What is the school’s approach to teaching pupils with special educational needs?

    At Holgate Primary class based learning is adapted for all children in our school; work is differentiated to meet the needs of the pupils.  Teachers work hard to ensure work is planned and delivered offering the right amount of support and challenge for all pupils whilst addressing children’s preferred learning style. Some individual targets are supported within lessons by the class teacher or a Teaching Assistant; others may be supported outside the classroom through a specific intervention programme which may be delivered by a Teaching Assistant.   



    How will the curriculum and learning be matched to my child’s needs?

    We aim to deliver a creative, stimulating and exciting curriculum in a variety of ways to engage all pupils with a variety of learning styles and needs.  We provide a stimulating learning environment throughout Holgate Primary that supports and reflects the curriculum being covered from Foundation to Year 6.  When specific curriculum adaptations and reasonable adjustments are necessary for individuals, relevant staff will attend training sessions as necessary.



    How are decisions made about the type and amount of support my child will receive?

    Some children will need additional support for a set period of time to help meet their needs or progress their learning.  The decision to do this is made by the school and is based on a variety of factors including academic progress or additional assessments carried out by school staff or other professionals.  This additional support is monitored closely and discussed with parents and the child where appropriate. Some children will need additional support to ensure they have a smooth transition as they move through school into different classes or key stages.  Some children require support for a longer period of time to ensure they can access the full curriculum effectively.  Support will be planned by school staff and by external agencies where appropriate.   Parents/carers will be kept informed about this support and it will be discussed at our termly meetings or more frequently if needed. 



    How will my child/young person be included in activities outside the classroom, including school trips?

    At Holgate Primary School we provide a wide variety of after school activities, visits and residential experiences, we value the benefit of education outside the classroom and believe that all pupils should have the opportunity to participate in these.  Prior to any trips, a pre-visit is made by staff and a risk assessment is carried out which considers the needs of all children.  Where necessary, we meet with parents/carers to discuss any additional support which may be required.  We aim to ensure all children have the chance to be part of all activities whether inside or outside the classroom, with reasonable adjustments made where needed.



    What support will there be for my child/young person’s overall well-being?

    The social and emotional well-being of all our pupils is a priority.  Where appropriate, plans are put in place to support a child’s well- being following consultation with pupils and their parents/carers. We follow guidance from trained health professionals to meet additional health, medical and personal care needs of individual children.  School staff are trained as appropriate to meet these needs.  Where a child has complex needs requiring complex arrangements they may undergo a Statutory Assessment Process known as an Education Health Care Plan (EHC) formally known as a statement.  This process is for our children with the most complex needs or where additional clarity is needed around the planning and provision An EHC can be requested by school, parents or other professionals. 



    Who is the school special educational needs co-ordinator (SENCO) and what are their contact details?

    Mrs Sally Harvey is our Executive Inclusion Leader and Miss Kerry Hayes is our SENCO and they can be contacted through the school office on Telephone: 0115 9638649.



    What training have staff supporting special educational needs had and what is planned?

    At Holgate Primary we have undertaken a wide variety of SEN training both as whole staff and as individuals.  Some of this training has been delivered by external agencies and other CPD has been delivered in house. We seek support from outside agencies for children and families when necessary.  We have an experienced Inclusion team overseeing provision within our school and an effective team of teachers and Teaching Assistants who are trained in current policies and practices. The training needs within our school reflect the needs of the staff and the children we work with.  Our Inclusion team meets termly with SENCOs from other local schools. 


    What specialist services and expertise are available or accessed by the setting/school?

    We have close links with a wide range of outside agencies who offer specific guidance and support to our school and families.  These include:

    • The Educational Psychology Service (EP)
    • Therapists including those for Speech and Language (SALT), Occupational (OT) and Physiotherapy (PT)
    • Schools and Families Specialist  Services (SFSS) – includes those for Early Years, Cognition and Learning, Communication and Interaction, Sensory Impairments and Physical Disabilities
    • The Personal Social and Emotional Support Team (PSED)
    • Health Services including School Nurse, Paediatricians, Health Visitors and Child and Adult Mental Health services (CAMHS)
    • Social Care and Local Children’s Centres
    • Out Reach and Voluntary Services Schools and Families Support Services:             
    • Manual Handling and Disability Access support


    How are equipment and facilities to support pupils with special educational needs secured? How accessible is the school/setting?

    Where possible we provide equipment or complete necessary funding applications to provide any equipment that is deemed necessary in order to support children in school.  We aim to ensure that all activities and equipment are accessible to all children, parents/carers and visitors to our school. Reasonable adjustments have been made to improve accessibility for all. Our school site is wheelchair accessible.  There are disabled toilet facilities including space to accommodate changing.  Risk assessments and safe systems of work are in place to ensure the safety of all staff and children. We use symbols and visual timetables where appropriate.


    What are the arrangements for consulting parents of pupils with special educational needs? How will be I involved in the education of my child?

    If we are concerned about a child in school then the child’s class teacher will discuss these concerns with the parent/carer. We aim to identify these concerns as early as possible.   Following this initial discussion if targets are agreed these will be recorded on Pupil Progress Plan. Parents/carers are encouraged to be fully involved in these targets and in helping the child to achieve them.  They will be reviewed at least termly. The school follows the graduated response to identifying and supporting children with SEN as outlined in the SEN Code of Practice.  We are continually assessing, planning, implementing and reviewing our approach to teaching all children.


    What are the arrangements for consulting young people with SEN and involving them in their education?

    Wherever possible we involve the children in the setting and reviewing of their targets and provision. Our pupils are fully involved in the setting of targets and copies of these are given to parents/carers. Where appropriate the child will be invited to attend the whole or part of the review meeting. We actively encourage all children to participate fully in all aspects of school life.


    What do I do if I have a concern or complaint about the SEN provision made by the school/setting?

    If parents/carers have any concerns at all regarding the progress of their child, the provision in place or believe their child may have additional needs they are encouraged to talk to the child’s class teacher or a member of the school Inclusion team.  A meeting can be arranged to fully share and discuss these concerns, resulting in actions being agreed. If parents feel their concern is not resolved through this process, they should refer to our Complaints Procedure.


    How does the governing body involve other organisations and services (e.g. health, social care, local authority support services and voluntary organisations) in the meeting the needs of pupils with special educational needs and supporting the families of such pupils?

    This responsibility is delegated to the school Inclusion team by the Governing body.  The Inclusion team, in liaison with parents/carers and class teacher, will refer to agencies for specialist support if it is felt necessary. Support could be around advice for the parent/carer in the home, staff in school or may involve direct work with the child.


    How does the school seek to signpost organisations, services etc. who can provide additional support to parents/carers/young people?

    Parents/carers can gain advice and support from Parent Partnership or contact the Independent Parental Special Advice team The Nottinghamshire County council Local Offer is a comprehensive directory of local services, opportunities and access for children and young people with SEN and disabilities. This can be accessed at


    How will the school/setting prepare my child/young person to:

    Join the school?

    Transfer to a new school or setting can be an anxious time for both child and parent and we encourage visits to our school before applying. Careful planning is made for all children but for children with SEN or a disability an additional transition plan may be put in place.  This will generally include early discussions with the parent/carers, the setting they are coming from and any existing agencies which are providing existing support.  A transition book or social story maybe written for the child to use at home, this may include photographs of the building, adults working with the child and key times of the school day. When the child transitions to Holgate Primary, a ‘buddy or mentor’ maybe chosen to support the child initially.

    Transfer between phases of education (e.g. early years to primary, primary to secondary etc)?

    We carefully plan for all children moving to new classes within school. Currently this involves an initial class swap day and close liaison between the child’s existing teacher and the new teacher. In addition to this pupils with SEN may also have additional visits and time with their new teacher or in their new classroom; they may have a transition book or social story.  Where a child is transferring to us the new teacher or member of the Inclusion team may visit the setting where the child is currently to meet the child.   Where it is felt necessary for pupils with SEN a detailed transition plan will be written in consultation with all necessary people, to ensure a smooth move to the next phase of a child’s education.  Our family of schools (Holgate Family) currently run transition programmes for small groups of pupils leaving year 6 involving additional visits where the children may experience break and lunch time.  When pupils transfer to other Secondary schools bespoke transition plans can also be created if necessary.     

    Prepare for adulthood and independent living?

    In school we aim to prepare all children for adulthood and develop independence to take a full and active part in society.


    Where can I access further information?

    This information report /Local offer has been written as required by Section 65(3)(a) of the SEN (info) Regulations and links to the Local Authority local offer

    Further information can be accessed by:

    • Reading the schools full SEN policy - available on our website.
    • Nottinghamshire County Council website  - SEND Local Offer
    • Arranging an appointment to come and see us - please contact the school office telephone: 01159 568281